Saturday, March 13, 2010

Finding Fun

We took the kids to a school carnival today. The highlights:
Tobi: airsoft guns
David: 40' tall zip line (went twice)
Lily: horse-riding, face-painting, cotton candy

The thing I noticed this year is that the adults really turned out and seemed to greatly enjoy sitting at picnic tables and just chatting. I had good chats with people that I haven't talked to in a long time. I think we're all craving some good social times, and we just haven't had many opportunities with all of the recent events as well as the 6 p.m. curfew. Of course, the curfew does make for good family time, which I have appreciated, but we have missed not being able to have friends over for a meal.

The other day I was chatting with a good friend about our stress-filled lives, and I asked her, "What's the next thing you're looking forward to?" She named an event that will take place in three months. I said, "That's too far away! We need to do something to have fun and laugh now." I guess today's carnival was part of that.

I have found that I have to be very pro-active in finding 'fun' things for my family to do. It's really important for our mental and emotional well-being as we live in such an uncertain place.

No comments: