Saturday, January 30, 2010

Crisis Makes You Creative

During our days of 24-hour curfew, I really enjoyed the challenge of having to make meals from whatever I had on hand at the moment. This was about the only kind of mental challenge I was up for in the midst of listening to gunshots echo throughout the city. During crisis periods, I find that my brain kicks into survival mode and just focusing on taking care of my family. If truth be told, I think my family gets better meals during crisis periods.
Stew (pork, carrots, potatoes, celery, barley) & Pumpkin Bread

I still had cookie dough in my fridge from December. I never got around to finishing making Christmas cookies. If it weren't for the crisis, I probably would have thrown it away.


I made English muffins for the first time in my life! It wasn't hard at all. Next time, I'll make it even easier: I'll just dump the ingredients in the bread machine and after it rises once I'll roll out the dough and cut the circles.


Lemon Meringue Pie--we had lots of lemons and eggs on hand, so why not?


We still got to have our Friday family favorite: pepperoni pizza. I usually have all the ingredients on hand.


My kids are pretty good at keeping themselves busy. To my delight, I peeked around the corner one day and saw Lily and David having their own little picnic.


1 comment:

LoieJ said...

I imagine that you've introduced your husband to several foods new to him. What have you learned to eat in Nigeria that was new to you? What's the news about parental travel?