Saturday, December 12, 2009

Feliz Navidad!

Lily, David and I ran a few errands this morning. While we were shopping in a Lebanese-owned grocery store, we heard "Feliz Navidad" on the piped-in music system. That struck me as funny: I'm an American living in Nigeria, shopping at a Lebanese store, listening to a song with Spanish in it. Lily & David had never heard the song, and before I knew it, David was dancing in the aisle! I guess it does have a catchy beat. For the rest of the day, I've heard Lily singing it around the house.

The next song on the playlist was "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas." The only 'white' Christmas we'll get around here is a blanketing of harmattan dust which will cover every possible surface.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

That is so funny! I can just picture David dancing around. I guess you're experiencing American influence with a Spanish twist.

The Black Family said...

So funny! At Rachel's Christmas concert for school, they sang a version of "We Three Kings" with an African background vocal thrown in on the second verse. Everyone asked Rachel if she knew what the words meant and she just laughed, reminding them that there is more than one language in Africa - ha ha! I love, love, love your blog! Thanks for writing it - it completely blesses my heart.