Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Items Wanted

This summer as I'm traveling around, I'll be collecting the following items. If you have some of these things sitting around your home, I'll gladly take them off of your hands.

Embroidery Floss--Do you have some embroidery floss that you're no longer using? If so, the Women of Hope would be glad to use it. We prefer to use floss when hand-embroidering words on our quilts. This floss is not available here.
Wedding Dresses, also bridesmaid dresses, flower girl dresses, wedding accessories, etc. I've already mentioned this in a previous post (May 20) and people have responded very enthusiastically. Please help us get the word out to your friends and church.

Pregnancy Books--Most women in Nigeria do not have access to even one book about pregnancy. They are thrilled when I give them a copy of this book. Other types of pregnancy books are fine. Paperbacks please as they don't weigh as much for shipping. (See May 5, 2008 post)
Diaper Bags--There are some diaper bags available here, but they are generally quite expensive. I've discovered that many people in the U.S. have more than one diaper bag because they often receive a free one in the hospital. Once again, women here are absolutely delighted to receive these diaper bags.
I haven't kept track, but I'm sure I've given out at least 70 pregnancy books and 70 diaper bags over the past years.
Isn't it great when you can get more mileage out of an item that you're finished using?

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I've been collecting those What to Expect books at the thrift store :).

LoieJ said...

Sewing purses and bags is the 'in thing' now with quilters and sewers. Maybe when you are here you can get some patterns so your ladies can make some to sell.