Tuesday, March 24, 2009

In the Land of the Living

On Monday I went into Fatima's room to greet her. She seemed more relaxed and in less pain than last week. She was actually stretched out on the bed with no blanket instead of being huddled in a fetal position.

Two of the church youth who had cared for her for three weeks in the hospital came by to see her. I am amazed at the commitment of these young men.

Since Fatima has been on the brink of death, we have really been pampering her. We ask her what food she would like to eat, and then we do our best to get that food for her. Over the weekend, she was craving chips (fried potatoes). Esther, the matron of Bezer Home, made them for her. After she finished eating the chips, she stretched out and crossed her legs as a sign of satisfaction.

I bought suya (thin strips of meat coated with spices and grilled over coals) and gave it to Fatima. It was the first time I had seen a real smile on her face. I said, "Are you sure you're strong enough to eat this meat? You know you need a lot of strength to eat this suya." She smiled and assured me that she could handle it. I was a little worried because recently just the aroma of food has been making her nauseated.

I needn't have worried. She ate that whole bundle of meat and was thoroughly satisfied with the experience.

What joy to see life gradually return to Fatima.

No comments: