Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rainy Season Beauties

At the end of the dry season, I wrote a blog about the dry season flowers. Well, now we're at the end of the rainy season which displays its own unique kind of beauty.

I have to admit that I never really noticed these flowers until a few years ago when I was riding with a friend, and she mentioned that these wildflowers always bloom at the end of the rainy season.

The yellow and orange wildflowers start blooming in the middle of August, which is actually the heart of the rainy season. They continue to bloom until sometime in October. They really beautify the rocky hills around Bezer Home.

If you take a good look at the hillside, you can see the yellow hues from the wildflowers.
A type of sunflower.
A dainty little yellow star.
The kids enjoyed stopping to pick wildflowers today on our way from Bezer Home to our home. When we got home, David asked for a vase and got to work arranging the flowers.
These vibrant red flowers congregate in ditches and low-lying swampy areas.


And these orange blossoms are some of the most unique I've ever seen. Notice their oblong finger-like shape.
Whenever I see the poinsettia plant, I feel like Christmas is just around the corner. The poinsettias will continue blooming all the way through December.

The sky reminded us that we're still in the rainy season, although we didn't actually have any rain today.

3 comments:

LoieJ said...

Wow, nice. I love flowers. In my flower book, the origin of many flowers is listed as Africa, especially South Africa. I suppose the old trade routs and colonial situations started all of that.

The red flowers with the big leaves are probably cannas. I've had those. We, here next to Cook, have to dig out the bulbs in the fall, which is why I lost them one year when I wasn't up to the task.

Leanne said...

Wow! God's beauty is always around, often we miss it. I was impressed with the homemade effort of hamburger meal! I don't know if I could pull that off.

LoieJ said...

My book says that cannas originated in tropical America and the rhizomes were used for food in Pre-Columbian times.