Monday, August 10, 2009

Jet Lag

Missionaries here have always said that they feel the jet lag more on one end of the journey than the other, but I hadn't consciously remembered which end it was. Now I know: it's flying from West to East, i.e. against the day.

Last Wednesday, August 5th, was the first day of school for the boys. I set an alarm for 7 a.m., but it didn't go off. I suddenly woke up at 7:45, and shouted, "We're late!" Bayo said, "Don't worry, that clock is fast." Ten minutes fast was not going to help us much that morning. It was a real bear pulling the boys out of bed. Their bodies were telling them: It's 2 a.m.!

Each day has been a bit easier. I don't allow any naps because that would only make the situation worse. It's best just to try to get used to the new day. Tobi has really struggled with falling asleep. He's often awake in bed until about 11:30 p.m. Tonight I think he slept by 10 p.m. so we're gradually making progress.

Jet lag going the other way (Nigeria to the U.S.) is almost non-existent because we are gaining hours. We just stay up until it's time for bed. Within two days we're usually feeling pretty good.

No comments: